I have waited 2 months, 3 weeks, and 5 days to share this project with you! For some reason whenever I have to sew and (sometimes) paint something it takes me forever to (just) do it. Anyways I spent this past weekend decorating for Fall and actually starting and completing this chair.
This is the finished product, but what it took to achieve this look was honestly not that much of my time. It took me approximately 30 minutes to reupholster the chair and an hour to prime, paint, and seal the chair. I do not know why I was dreading this makeover.
This is the chair’s before picture. Not too shabby, eh? I purchased the chair a year or more ago at the Habitat Store for a $7. When I purchased it, I knew that I was going to give it a facelift, I just did not know exactly what I was going to do. My two thoughts going into this project was to either paint the fabric or reupholster it with my scrap cheetah print fabric. I decided to go forward with the cheetah print because I needed a print in my work area which is located in the living room.
I deconstructed the arms, back and part of the base of this chair so that I can EASILY reupholster it. I chose to leave the original fabric on the chair in case I decided that I did not like it and I can easily paint over the upholstered fabric which would give it a subtle monochromatic print….Basically, I just like having options.
After I took the chair apart, I reupholstered the base seat of the chair using scrap cheetah print fabric and my staple gun. This type of reupholstering that I applied on the base seat of my chair is very basic and can be applied to most chairs and benches.
Next, I reupholstered the back of the chair using the sewing method. Basically you would flip your material inside out and sew 3 out of 4 sides to achieve a seamless look.
I pinned three of the sides. In the graph above I pinned all throughout where number 1 is located then I sewed it and DOUBLE checked the fit to see if it fit snuggly. After that I sewed where number 2 is located so that the edges did not flair out. By doing this it gives a more professional look.
Note: I did trim off the extra fabric that I had around the edge of sides.
The bottom side of the back cushion that I did not sew, I ended stapling closed with my staple gun, just like how it was originally upholstered.
Fold + Tuck + Staple
After I finish reupholstering the chair, I assemble the chair and prime, paint, and seal all the wooden parts of the chair black.
Voila, the finished product! I wish it did not take me so long to actually start this project.
This project cost me exactly $7 and approximately 1.5 hours of my time. I am beyond thrilled with the final results…Now I need to figure out a way so that my children will not ride on it for a week or so, so that my paint can cure properly without getting dinged –#problemsofaDIYmomma