Hello peeps! While working on the playroom/guest room, a handful of people asked me if I could write a post on how I built this daybed and hutch. I took progress pictures, but I never truly planned on blogging about it because it was the first time I built a furniture piece like this. Below are some progress shot and my method to building and designing. Sorry if you were looking for plans, but I hope this will inspire you to build something.
- 4-Sheets of Birch Plywood 3/4″ thick
- 3/4″ thick 4″ deep hardwood
- Kreg with appropriate screws
- Metal Anchors (50lb)
- Base Molding
- Scribe Molding
- Quarter Round Molding
- Iron on veneer
Draw and Prepare for Build
Before I start any project, I typically spend weeks or months preparing for what I want it to look like and the resources I plan on using. I have a tendency to constantly draw out plans until I am happy with what I am seeing. Some of these plans will have Plan A, Plan B, Plan C in case my original plan doesn’t go the way I want it.
You are not going to like my idea on how to get started. If you are like me, you may just have to drink some courage juice and jump head in. Typically, when it takes me forever to start on a project it is because I am afraid. I normally work alone when I build or redesign a space, so I am my own contractor. If I mess up it is on me!
I started with the building of the daybed base first, because the extra storage hutch can be any size, but the daybed cannot. At first I wanted two wide, deep drawers, however, I wasn’t able to make it as sturdy that way. Below, you can see how my daybed went from two openings to three. I know that a standard twin size bed measured 38″x75″. With that knowledge and the fact that Home Depot and Lowes will only cut boards down as small as 12″ wide, I decided to make the base 24″ deep. After building my “first” mockup of this base, I put it in place in the bedroom to make sure everything was measuring properly and to check the sturdiness. After I checked all of these areas, I altered my design plans and braced it some more. I wanted to create a ledge so the back of the bed could sit on it, but I had a hard time finding the studs so ended up anchoring a board and attaching “legs” for the plywood (for the back of my bed) can rest on top of.
For the drawers, I used birch wood on the front and pine boards on the interior. I also ended up adding more support under the two end drawers (not shown). I used my Kreg to build my drawers. This is a wood on wood construction as I wanted large enough drawers to house my kids toys. No glides or extra brackets were used in the construction of the drawers. Since the drawers were a tight squeeze, I sanded and shaped them (using my sander) to allow for easy expansion and contraction of the wood. I used iron on veneer to finish off any raw wood areas and to make it more of a professional build.
Building of the Hutch
Once I got the daybed placed, I started on the built-in hutch. This hutch or extra storage space was a semi-build using already made campaign drawer night stands that I purchased at an estate sale. The drawers weren’t wide enough, so I knew that I would need fillers on both sides of the piece.
Building on of the Shelves
To make this storage space more functional, I added on a shelving unit with doors. I built the shelving unit by researching how the other shelving units in my home were built. I cut and screw three boards together and braced the back side with hardboards that could be screwed into the wall. I also secured the drawers on the bottom to the wall using anchors and hardboard. I also attached L-brackets to the top of the hutch using anchors to help stabilize the built-in. Basically screwing in the hardboards to the anchors and attaching the drawer bases to the hardboard. The wall was crooked so hardboard was necessary to level it out. I live in an old house and sometimes…most of the time the walls are never flush.
Adding the Doors and Caulking
I had Home Depot cut my doors and surprisingly each door was exactly the same size however since this wall is crooked the filler and top hutch is crooked. To hide the gapping from the filler, I used a scribe molding to make it look more like a custom built-in. I added crown molding to finish it off and a thin wooden trim attached to the right door to hide the uneven gap.
If you like this post, be sure to check out the Sophisticated Playroom/guest room with Vintage Touches, the House of Hackney Inspired Fringe Stool, and the post on How to Reupholster an antique sofa.