I love a GOOD home decor piece and I love to be inspired. This month for the Inspired by DIY challenge, I chose to create a jewelry cone and dish inspired by West Elm. My daughters had a bit of a say in this challenge, since this will be in their room. Since moving into our home I have had some type of vision of what I want for each room and this piece is totally up my alley when it comes to my vision for their space. I used oven Sculpey’s oven baked clay from my local hobby store. The one thing about this clay is that it comes in a variety of color. There were other brands as well and some metallic clay that I was interested in purchasing, but I decided to play it safe and go white.
Materials used to create a jewelry cone
Steps to create a jewelry cone
- Cut a piece of your clay and roll into a coil.
- Wrap your coil into a cone like shape and smooth it out as you are going along.
- Once you are done forming your shape, place it in oven and follow directions on package.
- Use marker and draw shapes or whatever your heart desires.
- Once paint marker dries, paint it over with gloss glaze and let it dry.
Materials used to create a jewelry dish
- Oven baked clay
- Paint brush
- Black paint marker
- Rolling pin
Steps to create a jewelry dish
- Cut a piece of clay from the block and roll into a ball.
- With a rolling pin, flatten out the clay
- Once flattened to your likeness, with a cup or dish trace a circle on the clay. *I used the cup to create an imprint and tore the extra clay off.
- Once the dish is shaped to your liking, place in the oven and follow directions on package.
- Once baked, draw desired image or paint
- Once paint is dry, paint gloss glaze on and let it dry
This has to be one of the coolest DIY’s that you can get the whole family involved. You can definitely add your little touch in terms of pattern and color. If you are in the whole DIY Inspired by movement, do not forget to check out some of my favorite gals projects…trust me, you will be inspired! All that is left to do now is purchase some jewellry online and admire the diy projects!